Thursday, February 19, 2009

Week 8: Thing NINETEEN

I think the biggest impact that setting up a Libary Thing account had on me was that it made me realize how few books I have been reading lately. After some reflection, I consoled myself with the fact that I havent given up on reading altogether, instead these days I find myself reading more out of science journals and online articles. On the other hand, there is so much to be gained by reading actual books -- written compositions with some substance and depth -- rather than mere blurbs, like online articles. So by creating an online collection of my favorite books, I have been reinspired to make a visit to the local library.

I like the idea of using Libary Thing, particularly for a class blog where the teacher could showcase the book(s) he/she is reading, perhaps thereby inspiring the students to pick up a book and read. Likewise, teachers could post curriculum books to inform parents, or any other blog visitor for that matter, about what their class is currently reading.

All of the books I posted show a fair amount of popularity among other Libary Thing readers, except for one, The Alphabet of Manliness, which I would hardly consider an "intellectual read". The feature I really enjoy is social data, which is an icon that can be accessed under the "Your Library" tab when logged in to your personal account. Social data offers numerical figures such as the number of members who have read the same books as you, as well as reviews, popularity, and average member ratings of the books. Additionally, Libary Thing compiles a list of recommended readings based on your own personal catalog.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Scott....Great to meet you at the conference today and great job on the presentation :-)

    As a librarian I have to admit that LT is a lot of fun and I am so glad it has inspired you to read "books" again. I know that I have been reading a lot of professional books lately and need to get back to my fun reading...and not necessarily young adult books. I really like the visual impact of the cover collage...makes my little librarian heart go pitter pat :-)

    ReplyDelete