Saturday, February 7, 2009

Week 2: Thing THREE

So this is it. My official indoctrination as a "blogger". Funny -- I dont feel any different.......

Dont get the wrong idea, I'm not a Luddite. In fact, more and more I am compelled to embrace technology. I held out for a long time -- specifically in the cellphone arena. I remember the cellphone crazy slowly gaining momentum when I was in high school. By the time I got to college cellphones had become such a widespread pandemic that it was not uncommon to see university students riding their bikes to class, concurrently steering with one hand, and talking on the cellphone with the other. This, what I considered to be very unnecessary multi-tasking, was aggravating. Especially at 7 o'clock in the morning. As a benchmark of my personal growth and acceptance of technology, I now have students who send and receive over 60 text messages -- all before the first school bell rings. I'm not saying that it is any less aggravating, I'm just saying I've developed more of a tolerance for unabashed abuse of technology.

Aside from a marginal convenience factor, I never really even wanted a cellphone. I found them pretentious. Well, not the phones themselves, but those who used them.

Needless to say, I've since come around. I have a cellphone of my own. Not a very flashy one, but certainly a functional one. It allows for both outgoing and incoming calls, as well as two-way text messaging. It also takes very grainy pictures, all of which bear a striking resemblance to the very bottom line of eye-chart hanging on the door of the doctor's office.

I still have some very sharp platforms about cellphone etiquette, but for the most part recognize functionality and incredible world-at-the-tip-of-your-fingers capability of cellphones. As for the BlueTooth headset.........dont get me started. I've sat beside vagrants on the subway who all of the sudden sound like Rhodes Scholars compared to the BlueTooth loonies aurally abusing anyone within earshot with their "private" conversations.

I used to think that anyone with a myriad of wholly disconnected thoughts that were even remotely worth listening to either wrote poetry or became a stand-up comedian. With the advent of the Web Log -- abbreviated "blog" because two syllables is far too cumbersome for the streamlined culture of 21st society -- the internet has provided a limitless outlet for empty musings. And this is mine........

1 comment:

  1. Well, I have to admit that I have a cell phone so that I can call people in an emergency, not so people can call me. That's my stand and I'm sticking to it (mainly by not giving my cell # out and making sure those who have it know it will most likely be turned off :-)

    However, I never really saw it as pretentious, just really dangerous if people are driving. As for the kiddos....they have already made the digital leap in all sorts of areas. It is no longer optional for us to get on board....hence, this class.

    It will be interesting to see what you come to think of blogging. I have very mixed feelings about it myself.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete