Sunday, February 15, 2009

Week 6: Thing FOURTEEN

At first, I had a very difficult time executing the initial task, which was to do a "keyword search for 'School Library Learning 2.0' in Blog posts, in tags and in the Blog Directory". For me, this proved exceedingly difficult because it required a bit more intuition than merely typing "School Library Learning 2.0" in the search bar. Turns out, to access the variety of search possibilities, one has to click on the "advanced" link to the immediate right of the search bar.

When searching for School Library Learning 2.0 using the "keyword" search, Technorati yields 226 results, the first ten of which were nothing that I recognized. It seems that the keyword search breaks down and searches for each individual keyword, such as "School" and "Library" and "Learning" and "2.0".

When searching using "tags", on the other hand, "School Library Learning 2.0" turned up a variety of sites, the majority of which were blogs based around a course like Raven About Web 2.0.

I also "claimed" my blog with Technorati, so I'll now be monitoring it carefully to see how many visitors it attracts as it competes for attention against 63 million (and counting...) other blogs. Interestingly enough, it doesn't appear that my blog will have much success, as I was completely unable to locate it using Technorati's general search bar. I'm thinking my blog page is going to require some "authority" before any is able to access via the search bar.

Speaking of authority, I decided to check out the absolute most popular site listed on Technorati, a blog called Boing Boing. To be honest, I wasn't altogether impressed by the blog. As far as I could tell, it didn't have anything that really set it apart from any other individual or group blog. The one really cool thing about the blog, though, was that its primary contributing writer is the same guy who has become the wildly popular YouTube meme, the Tokyo Stormtrooper.

Even though I am fairly new to them, I can certainly see the immediate convenience of "tags". However, due to my relative unfamiliarity with tags, I also find them somewhat limiting. For example, when I claimed my blog with Technorati, I was given the option of listing tags related to my blog. I was able to think of only six words, two of which are my blog's title. So unless someone is searching specifically for "vacuous" or "digressions", odds are, my blog won't be showing up much in anyone's search results.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I am somewhat underwhelmed by technorati. Tagging, as I mentioned in an early comment, is something that I am still working on as far usefulness. I don't think my brain works like other people's because my tag choices are often not what others think of.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete