Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Week 8: Thing NINETEEN POINT ONE

Whoa. Immediately I found something that I really like about the articles listed in the "search results". First of all, EBSCO provides an icon right next to the title of the article that indicates the completeness link's content (i.e. whether it lists an abstract, or the full-text version of the article). Moreover, by simply holding the cursor over the icon, it automatically displays a bibliographic listing of the article with the abstract included.

I was able to set up an alert very easily by simply following the step-by-step instructions from EBSCO support. An additional feature, which I found to be very technologically current was the option to subscribe to journals as RSS feeds. I subscribed to Science-- a favorite publication of mine that I don't already receive as a hard copy -- requesting daily updates for one month, with the intent to modify it for later updates if the feature proves to be useful.

Funny you would suggest exploring the "automotive repair" link from the Digital Pipeline. My first (and only, up to this point) experience with the Digital Pipeline came as a suggestion over email from my school librarian. Mere days after nearly dismantling my driver-side door beyond repair, I was notified of this site, which is phenomenally detailed and thorough in its content. It would be too exhaustive to list all of the features offered by the auto repair reference center, but suffice it to say, it would require a very specific circumstance for the website not to have the information you need. As a side note, I still was unable to fix my car door, but it was due largely to my mechanical ineptitude and not because of insufficient information on the website.

1 comment:

  1. Oh SCORE! I love it when someone gets turned on to the wonderfulness of EBSCO. I really like the folder options and that it will follow me when I log onto EBSCO through the consortium library and use there more extensive set of full text articles.

    I have a couple of journal alerts and have used the search alert for my current project for the class I am taking.

    Too bad about the door....but I wouldn't have even been able to take my door apart ....

    ReplyDelete