Monday, March 9, 2009

Week 9: Thing TWENTY THREE

Creative Commons. Cool idea. I really like the concept of adapting muddled copyright laws and putting ownership back in the hands of the creator. In addition to exploring the site, I also checked out a YouTube video that further explains, in a little bit more straightforward fashion, what Creative Commons is.

The nice thing about Creative Commons is that it is progressive, and it very necessarily centers around the fact that technology and global networking almost demand the sharing of resources, creations, and publications. The website is very user-friendly, making it extremely easy to obtain a Creative Commons license.

A Fair(y) Use Tale is very well done, and a clever way to put copyright laws in a relevant, lucid context. I'm also glad that the author/editor of the video was able to find an outlet for his wildly extensive knowledge of Disney films.

*****
As for my feelings about this course -- I'll try to be both concise and thorough.

This is my fourth year as a certified teacher, and in that time, I have taken what I would consider to be an ambitious amount of professional-development credits. With that experience, I can confidently say that Raven About Web 2.0 is one of, if not the most useful class that I have taken. First of all, the curriculum content is spot-on. Technology is no longer an important part of the educational system; it is an integral part. This course presents an extensive amount of information, but does so in a very casual way. Because the course is for the most part self-guided, I was free to explore each of the different "things" at my own pace, and therefore was allowed to invest more time in the "things" that I felt would benefit me most. At the same time, even if I came across a "thing" that wasnt necessarily something for which I could find an immediate classroom or personal application, in order to accurately reflect on it, I still needed to explore it in at least some detail, giving me some a valuable amount of familiarity with it.

To the ladies of Raven About Web 2.0 thank you first of all, for offering this course (and extending the inviation to classroom teachers), but also for your diligent and thoughtful input on each of the blog posts.

2 comments:

  1. Scott. I am so pleased that the course did what it was intended to do. Your postings are always thoughtful and show the self reflection that is necessary in a self paced class. I have enjoyed reading your digressions :-)

    I would be interested in hearing how some of these tools actually work in a classroom setting as you decide to go forward with some of them.

    At this time all you need to complete is:
    2 replies to other blog postings
    And
    You need to read chapters 1, 7 and 9 as well as a chapter of your choice in the text (Web 2.0 New tools, new schools by Solomon and Schrum) and blog about your reflection. (if you don't have the book let me know and I can send over my copy)

    Thanks for taking the class

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Forgot one other thing....implementation plan for how you would integrate one tool that you learned about in to your teaching....You can be creative in how you present that. Share a googledoc or ZOHO, do a voice thread.... Ann

    ReplyDelete